For many, over indulging around the festive period is simply the norm, yet we wish we could fit back into our favourite jeans straight away. A little more activity around the home could help shed those Christmas pounds.
Cleaning the house is a fantastic way of being productive and burning off those extra calories at the same time. You can burn around 200 calories per hour just by cleaning your house. From mopping the kitchen floor to dragging the vacuum cleaner out from under the stairs, you could be seriously working up a sweat. So here are some of our top tips to maximise your “clean-out” routine.
1. Put on your favourite album, or listen to Vileda’s top ten *cleaning tracks, to get your body moving. The more up-beat the better, singing and dancing along to music whilst mopping using the Vileda SuperMocio 3Action will not only make it more fun for you, but it will increase your heart rate and improve your cardiovascular fitness.
Our Top Ten Cleaning Tracks
- I want to Break Free – Queen
- Single Ladies (Put A Ring on it) – Beyoncé
- Walking on Sunshine – Katrina and the Waves
- Get Lucky – Daft Punk ft Pharrell Williams
- Bat Out Of Hell – Meatloaf
- Diamonds – Rihanna
- Candy – Robbie Williams
- Shine – Take That
- Mr Brightside – The Killers
- Girls Just Wanna Have Fun – Cyndi Lauper
2. Race against yourself. Time yourself each time you need to go upstairs, or set goals and try to beat them. For example, “I will tidy the kitchen in exactly 60 minutes.” You will work faster and harder if you are trying to attain a certain goal, therefore burning more calories.
3. Rearrange the furniture for a new look. Pushing and shoving sofas around and lifting heavy tables will work your muscles and could help you to tone up and prepare for the summer months! It also means you’re able to clean in all the awkward places that you couldn’t reach before.
4. “Reward” yourself for completing tasks. When you’ve finished tidying a room, you could allow yourself a three-minute break in which you can dance around to your favourite song. The Vileda 1 2 Spray Mini could make a fantastic replacement for a microphone!
5. Finally, don’t give in to convenience. It might be much easier and faster to make your cleaning supplies nice and accessible, but if the goal here is to burn calories and lose weight, then making an extra trip upstairs is a good thing!