With the festive season well and truly on its way, it’s time to get ready for Christmas guests, the annual act of cleaning your home to make it visitor friendly. In fact, did you know that 26% of Brits told us Christmas is the time of year they do the most cleaning?
To help with the Christmas clean up, here are a few of our tips….
1. Be prepared. Try to do a deep clean before you put up your decorations, once they’re up it will be really tricky to clean around them.
2. Once all your decorations are up make sure you have another quick dust around and a vac. Having been stored for a year it’s likely they will be harboring some dust that will spread as you move them about.
3. When cleaning carpets, make sure you dust first, then vac. This makes vacuuming more effective as you’ll pick up any fallen dust. To avoid fallen dust in the first place use a cloth with an electrostatic charge, such as the Vileda Soft Dust Cloth. This keeps the dust in your cloth whilst you clean.
4. Have a structured and organised approach. Try to clean methodically from room to room, top to bottom, ensure nowhere gets missed and to help conserve your energy for the party season.
5. The oven takes a bashing at Christmas so when tackling your oven, mix some bicarbonate of soda with water until it creates a thick paste. Smear this inside your oven including the door and leave for a few hours or overnight. Then simply wipe away with a damp sponge cloth so that it is turkey ready.
6. Your bathroom will see much more use with visitors popping in; dip a sponge cloth in white wine vinegar for wiping glass shower doors. The acidity of the vinegar cuts straight through any soap scum or dirt and will leave them sparkling.
7. Whilst cleaning the bathroom, fill the bath tub with a few inches of the hottest water you can draw from the tap. This heats up the bathroom and improves the effectiveness of alkaline cleaning solutions.
8. When cleaning hard floors, use a mop suited to your floor type. If you have tiles opt for a cloth strip mop, if you have wood or laminate opt for a flat mop which puts less moisture on the floor.
9. Over the festive period you will be busy and may not have time to give your home a thorough clean, so be sure to keep on top of it with an in-between clean. The 1, 2 Spray Flat Mop is perfect for cleaning your floor in between visitors with its built in spray system. It is quick and easy to use – no need to fill a bucket!