There’s only a few days left until Christmas, but what a perfect time to make your home sparkle before the big day.
This time of year is overwhelming for the best of us – gifts to buy, boxes to wrap, parties to host – so the key in the run-up to Christmas is to clean your home little and often to keep it guest-ready at all times.
Here’s our top 5 quick cleaning tips for how you can keep your home shiny this festive season.
1. Give all your cleaning products a spritz as you go
The best tip we can give during of your Christmas cleaning cleanse is to make sure your cleaning tools are always in tip-top condition.
- Cleaning cloths looking a bit tired? The best tip is to hand-wash them in hot water with some mild detergent, and leave them to air dry before your next use.
- Microfibre mop head needing a clean? If you use the Vileda 1-2 Spray Mop, the Vileda EasyTwist Flat Mop or anything that uses a detachable microfibre pad, simply remove the mop pad and pop it in the washing machine on a 60 degree wash – but remember, don’t use fabric softener or bleach, as this can affect the fibres in the material and make the mop head less effective.
- Running low on disposable cleaning wipes? Go green this Christmas with a hand-made cleaning solution. Our favourite natural all-purpose cleaner is adding 2 cups of warm water, 1 tablespoon of baking soda, 1 cup white distilled vinegar and 3 tbsp of lemon juice – You can find full instructions here. This can be used on most surfaces to make them shine.
2. Keep your oven turkey-ready after every meal
With the everyday use of a family oven, it’s impossible to keep it out of bounds until it’s ready for the turkey and trimmings on Christmas Day, so we’d recommend giving your oven a quick once over after every use. We like the natural method of using a generous sprinkling of baking soda with a dab of white vinegar, and leave for 20 minutes. A quick rinse with a wet sponge or cloth will make sure you’re keeping on top of any grime or excess residue, and preventing any unnecessary build up in your oven.
3. Clean air is key to a clean home
It may be too cold to have the windows open to let the air circulate, but to prevent extra dust particles escaping when you dust your home, it’s best to use a microfibre cloth, as it traps all the dust particles so they won’t go airborne.
Likewise, it’s extremely hard to get your washing dry outside as the cold, damp weather sets in. Letting your clothes dry indoors may be your only option – The Vileda Sprint 15m 3 Tier Airer is ideal for leaving clothes to air dry, and can fold away ready to be stored in seconds. Or if space is tight, using the Vileda Express Radiator Airer gives you extra space to hang your items whilst still allowing the heat to circulate around your home.
4. Don’t worry about accidents or spills on your hard-wood floors
Life happens even in the countdown to Christmas, and unexpected things are inevitable in a house full of people. Drinks are spilled, food can end up on the kitchen floor, and pets can leave a trail of muddy footprints around the home.
Keeping your trusty mop handy for life’s little accidents means your floors will be back to sparkling in no time. If you’re using a traditional fabric mop like the Vileda SuperMocio 3 Action Mop, be sure to mop in the ‘figure of 8’ motion so that you’re utilising your mop in the most effective way. If you have wooden or laminate floors use a microfibre mop like the Vileda 1-2 Spray Mop or the Vileda EasyTwist Flat Mop, as they limit the amount of water on your floor.
Remember to start mopping in one corner of the room (and be careful not to step on the bits you’ve just mopped!)
5. Put your dishwasher to good use
Despite its name, dishwashers are not just good for cleaning dishes – they’re actually a cleaner’s hidden secret!
For example, dishwashers are brilliant for getting plastic toys gleaming again, but they’re also great for cleaning microwave turntables, glass fridge shelves, children’s teething rings, plastic pet toys, and even dirty dustpans – just make sure you don’t have the temperature too high!
But like all things, even your dishwasher gets dirty too after excessive use, so again reach for your trusty baking soda, sprinkle a little across the bottom of the dishwasher, and run a short, hot water cycle to keep it looking and smelling fresh for your next wash.
BONUS – Keep your home smelling scent-sational throughout the festive season
When your floors are sparkling and your surfaces shiny, why not place festive reed diffusers around your home for an added dose of Christmas cheer. Don’t forget to top up your home with an extra spritz of winter-scented air freshener as and when needed to keep your home smelling fresh and festive for longer.
So there you have it – our quick top tips for making sure you’re keeping on top of your home this Christmas.
Now you can relax, put your feet up, and enjoy the festive season, knowing that your home is in good hands.